A really quick and easy recipe for knock out Korean beef skewers.
The beef is knocked flat with a rolling-pin, then thinly sliced. This is added to a marinade made from ginger, garlic, dark soy, vinegar, shaoxing, sesame, honey and gochujan chilli paste. Left a few hours in a fridge then the beef is skewered, before being cooked quickly over a hot skillet.
In this recipe I used fajita steak, however any steak cut such as sirloin or rump would work just as well. I served this as part of a main meal along with some coconut rice and a cucumber salad (recipe below), however it also works brilliantly as a starter.
You can make a tasty dipping sauce by pouring the marinade into a saucepan and cooking it through the boil.
Serves two as a starter or part of a main meal
Preparation time 20 minutes (plus 3 hrs marinading time)
Cooking time approx 5 minutes
2 steaks (fajita, frying, sirloin or rump) – flatten with rolling-pin/mallet, thinly sliced
Bulb of garlic – crush and finely chop
Thumb of ginger – cut into thin match sticks
2 dessert spoons dark soy sauce
1 dessert spoon vinegar
1 desert spoon sesame oil
Dash shaoxing wine
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
1 dessert spoon honey
2 dessert spoons gochujan paste
Vegetable oil (to lightly bush grill)
You need a skillet grill pan and bamboo skewers for this recipe.
Mix marinade in a bowl then add the thinly sliced steak. Stir then cover in a fridge for at least three hours or overnight. Remove 30 minutes before cooking.
- Start by skewering the beef. Try to get several skewer folds as you do this instead of simply one in one out.
- Heat the skillet pan over a high heat until smoking hot, then lightly brush with oil.
- Add the skewers across the grill from right to left, spacing out slightly so that all the skewers have room on the grill and are not lifted off by its neighbour – this helps to evenly cook them.
- On a hot grill the skewers will cook very quickly and need at most 90 seconds on each side, even less for very thinly sliced beef. Make sure you turn them in the same order for even cooking.
- Once cooked on both sides remove skewers in same order placed on grill and transfer to a plate to rest for 2 minutes before serving.
- If you wish transfer the remaining marinade into a saucepan and heat through until it bubbles away to kill any bacteria. This makes an excellent dipping sauce along.
15cm cucumber – deseed, peel and cut into crescents
2 long red chillies – thinly sliced
3 spring onions – thinly sliced
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaf
2 tbsp chopped peanuts
Mix ingredients in a bowl, keep the coriander and peanuts separate to add as a last-minute garnish.
For the salad dressing:
1 dessert spoon gochujang chilli paste
1 dessert spoon dark soy sauce
1 dessert spoon honey
3 teaspoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
1 teaspoon sesame oil
Mix the dressing well in a separate bowl, drizzle over salad before serving.